Bridge No. S-10-019 carries Berkshire School Road over the Schenob Brook in the Town of Sheffield. The original bridge was constructed in 1934 and consisted of 6 steel stringers that supported a reinforced cement concrete deck. In 2003, an independently supported 5’-0” sidewalk was constructed on the north side of the existing bridge. The concrete protective bridge railing was severely deteriorated with sections of the railing missing. The project replaced the existing structurally-deficient bridge with a new one that meets current design loading and bridge standards and provides a safer, more reliable structure and roadway for the traveling public.
The scope of services provided by Bayside Engineering included preparing Estimates, Highway Design Documents and Preliminary Right-of-Way Plans, Project Development (Structural), Environmental Services, Highway Design, Geotechnical Design, and Anticipated Construction Duration reports. Some of these services were provided in association with subconsultants.
- Abbreviated construction season with roadway closure limited to 2.5 months, per town requirement.
- The traffic management plan included a detour plan of 1.8 miles during bridge closure.
- Geotechnical investigation indicated site susceptible to soil “liquifaction”.
- Town participation in waterline replacement/upgrade in utility bay on structure.
- Hydraulic/hydrologic investigation indicated the need for improved hydraulic opening and potential scour hole at the east abutment.
- An additional roadway sidewalk was constructed on the south side to accommodate a school up the road from the bridge.
- 30’ Roadway width that includes two 5’6” sidewalks.
- Single span, 69’ 0”, prestressed concrete, NEXT D Construction. The total span was increased to meet current Massachusetts Stream Crossing Standards.
- Integral abutments with driven steel pile foundations.
- Accelerated construction – precast concrete abutments, NEXT D beams, modular blockwalls, precast moment slabs, fast-curing cast concrete.
This bridge project is an excellent example of Bayside Engineering’s experience with providing proper project execution and management from concept to completion.